With millions of people joining every day, Facebook is undoubtedly the biggest social media platform in the world. This platform continues to accommodate various individuals, and older adults are not left out. Regardless of the geographical barriers, seniors can now use Facebook to see the photos of their grandchildren, get updates about their friends, and lots more.
For any baby boomers that want to enjoy Facebook, here are the things to do.
HOW TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT ON FACEBOOK
The first thing you need to do is to create an account on Facebook. People in their golden age over 55 should do the following:
- Visit facebook.com and set up a profile for free with some sets of information such as your email, name, your birthday, and a secure password.
- Add a family photo, personal photo, pet photo, etc. to your profile.
- Write a description about yourself. After this, you can search for friends and start adding them.
When you have added family, friends, etc., you can proceed to engage with them.
To get the most out of Facebook and reduce security risks, you need to restrict those that can access your information. Look at the top of the main page of your profile and tap a question mark. In the drop-down menu, just select “Privacy Checkup” and follow the information on the page.
Choose to display your posts and profile to only people on your friend list. This ensures your safety and security on Facebook.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR POSTS
To create your posts, you just need to type anything you want in the “Update Status” box which is close to your photo. If you want, add pictures, videos, or links to the posts. Once you have posted it, people on your friend list can like, comment, and share it.
HOW TO ENGAGE WITH OTHERS
Another thing you can do on Facebook is to engage with your loved ones. To do this, you need to tap their photo or name. You will see “Post to…” on their page. Post whatever you want there and they will be able to see it.
If you want to communicate with anyone privately, you should use Facebook Messenger. This app enables you to have voice calls and video chats with people on your network.
HOW TO STAY SAFE ON FACEBOOK
Since retirees and other seniors are major targets of scammers, you need to follow some safety tips that will guarantee your privacy and security. These tips include:
- BEWARE OF SCAMMERS – Scammers may want to gain access to a person’s account and swindle friends and family by impersonating them and lying that they are stranded and need money. If older adults get any message from any of their friends or family, they should call the individual to confirm the legitimacy of the requests.
- DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ – You can come across tons of information on Facebook. However, you should know that many of them are false. So, be cautious; don’t believe everything you read on social media.
- BE CAUTIOUS OF FAKE FRIEND REQUESTS – If you receive a friend request from an unknown person, you should be cautious before accepting it. Check the person’s profile, view their updates, and see their friends. If you feel any suspicious thing about their profile, don’t accept their requests.
While there are safety concerns for older people using Facebook, it is still a great platform to socialize and have fun.